Blog Archives

Friday, May 11, 2007

Respect for Jews

I respect the Jews highly, not beacause of the Holocaust and not because they are people of the "Book," but because they are, for the most part, a pragmatic people.

People may consider NPR a liberal radio station, but I've heard conservatives on it too. The other night I heard an interview with a Jewish rabbi comedian. He said one thing that left me thinking, "Right on!" He said that people go to church or synogogue for the social aspect, to meet people of their own persuasion, and they won't listen to you if you only preach to them. If a rabbi stands up there dead serious, people will tune out. If a rabbi delivers his message with a lot of humor, people are more likely to stay interested.

The Jews are constantly questioning things, including their own faith, etc. We've also had Jewish scientists. Einstein was a Jew. There are also "Jewish atheists."

The only thing I don't like about Jews is that they only marry other Jews. I once had a Jewish roommate who invited me to, of all things, a toga party. I met a nice gal there, and in my car, she told me to my face, "I only go out with other Jews." Their rationale is that they want to maintain tradition or keep themselves pure, as if Jewish genes are any different from the genes of other human beings. Please.

I'm not saying all Jews should marry gentiles. There are WASPS who will only marry other WASPS. The thought of marrying a black or Hispanic is nothing short of blasphemy.

I'm only saying be open to going out with (and marrying) people of any race, creed, etc. Have an open mind.

2 comments:

stormpilgrim said...

I thought Jews marrying gentiles was an epidemic in Judaism in recent times, at least in America. Judaism is more assimilated into American culture, so the force of ethnic identity is waning. One reason Jews may want to rethink marrying gentiles--Whoopi Goldberg. Oy, vey! She got the short end of that genetic stick.

gorham said...

I agree that the ancient custom of marrying only within the faith seems not to fit within our current multicultural society. It is, moreover, a practice that, at its core, seems to be racist/prejudiced (i.e. if we call intermarriage an "epidemic", isn't this basically the same as equating Gentiles with some kind of deadly virus? It seems to me an unfortunate metaphor).

At the same time, I do understand that some Jews may feel that their culture and ancient traditions are being threatened and that intermarriage is a serious underlying cause of such an undermining of the faith. Moreover, it does make sense for people who marry to share similar religious views, just as it makes sense for them to hold similar political views. Both are touchy issues that could easily break up a marriage over time. Yes, opposites may attract, but it is a good idea to be compatible in your philosophies. Yes, the ancients do have wisdom that we may learn from today.

You also may be wise to remember that not all Jews are alike and in fact there are some Jews who have started taking a more liberal approach to the concept of intermarriage, or, moreover the definition of being a Jew. Often, Gentiles will now convert to the Jewish faith for the sake of marriage, or vice versa. The whole idea that Judaism is threatened by extinction is, I think, a fallacy. There will always be some Jews who will adhere to the old ways, just as there will be some Jews who will redefine Judaism and try to adapt it so that it is more compatible with social practices of the secular modern day world.